Monday, October 06, 2014

Waiting for Migrants

.
Although fall songbird migration is well under way, I'm seeing very few birds. Admittedly, I haven't been birding much lately but even so I expected to have seen more migrants by now.

My only sightings on the CyFair campus have been a Red-eyed Vireo and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. A trip to Edith Moore Nature Center on Saturday turned up only a single bird, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Yesterday morning I spent an hour at the Little Cypress Creek Preserve and was rewarded with three Marsh Wrens. Perhaps things will pick up soon!

If my visit to Little Cypress Creek didn't turn up many migrants, it did produce some good sightings of the resident family of Red-shouldered Hawks. Several times I saw two adults and a juvenile flying around together high overhead.  

The juvenile gave me some very good looks.






One of the parents seemed to be perched near me wherever I walked.






The other parent was a little more elusive and never gave me a chance for a totally unobstructed photo.

.

No comments: