Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Katy Prairie

.
I still haven't had any time for significant birding outings, I'm afraid. However, at lunchtime today I managed to spend 20 minutes on Longenbaugh Road.

There was a sprinkling of common birds: Mourning and White-winged Doves, European Starlings, Brown-headed Cowbirds and Eastern Meadowlarks. There were also lots of Northern Mockingbirds. Surprisingly, I spotted only a couple of Loggerhead Shrikes.


As always at this time of year, Scissor-tailed Flycatchers were well represented. I stopped counting at 14.


I'm used to Scissortails now but I remember how bowled over I was when I saw my very first one, on a brief business trip to Houston almost fifteen years ago.


Longenbaugh can usually be relied upon to produce a Crested Caracara or two. Today two were perched on a utility pole. I can never decide whether their crests and stout beaks make them lok imposing or just rather silly.


As soon as I had photographed the Caracaras, it started to rain and so I headed back to work. This weekend we'll be heading out of town for a vacation and so it'll be a while before I get a chance to check out the Katy Prairie again. 
.

No comments: