Monday, November 30, 2015

A New Birding Site

.
On my way home from Baytown on Sunday, I stopped off on Highland Shores Drive because I'd seen several reports suggesting that it was a very good birding spot.

Most of the birds were on the far side of the water but I could make out many of the larger wading birds together with Brown and American White Pelicans (below).


Eventually, one of the Brown Pelicans floated out to the middle of the water. 


When a group of American White Pelicans lifted off, I was hoping they would head my way.


Unfortunately, only a couple came anywhere near where I was standing.


As is often the case, the Pelicans on the water were accompanied by a large raft of Cormorants. When some of the latter flew my way, I saw they were Neotropic.






Just when I'd given up hope of getting close views of any of the birds, a pair of Osprey decided to fish nearer the road.






A few minutes I was thrilled to see they were joined by a juvenile Bald Eagle, no doubt looking to steal fish from the Ospreys.


Perhaps because of the Eagle's presence, the Ospreys moved on and soon all three birds were far away on the other side of the water.

I headed home, pleased to have found a new birding site, and one that I'll be visiting again before too long.
.

No comments: